Monday, May 13, 2013

Product Review: Jack Black Intense Therapy Skin Protectant & Sunscreen Lip Balm

Like many women, I have dozens of lip products. One of my recent favorites (featured in my Winter Skincare Essentials and Beauty Favorites) is the Jack Black lip balm. I started using this lip balm this past winter and now, it is always within an arm's reach in my purse. Jack Black products are marketed towards men; however, I gave this lip balm a try because I had read rave reviews about it from other bloggers. I picked the grapefruit & ginger scent because I love citrus scents and I prefer the zing of grapefruit & ginger over the herbal combination of lemon & chamomile.

Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm with SPF 25 in Grapefruit & Ginger


This heavy-duty lip balm contains high SPF and protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Due to the SPF content, I only use this lip balm during the day (I do not use SPF-containing products at night). This moisturizing lip balm also protects against windburn. 

The consistency of the lip balm is thick; however, compared to other thick lip balms, it is not waxy, greasy or sticky. After applying this lip balm, my lips are instantly softer and more hydrated. Depending on how many sips of tea I take during the day, the balm lasts on my lips for 2-4 hours. The pleasant scent is not over-bearing and dissipates soon after application. 


The balm is in an easy to use squeeze tube container and applies smoothly from a slanted tip applicator. The packaging is unisex and practical. Although I appreciate cute packaging, I prefer practical packaging (especially when practical packaging is more hygienic).



Jack Black Lip Balm: Packaging

I found on Temptalia that the ingredient lists on Sephora's website and my lip balm packaging are not accurate. To clear up any confusion about this - the product was not re-formulated; however, the ingredients list was updated within the past year. I bought this lip balm in the beginning of 2012, so its' packaging differs from the current lip balm packaging. 

Here is what is listed on Sephora's website:

What it is formulated WITHOUT:- Sulfates - Synthetic Fragrances - Synthetic Dyes - Petrochemicals (Note that this is an error on Sephora's site, as it does contain petrolatum) - Phthalates - GMOs - Triclosan

Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Avobenzone 3.0%. Natural Mint, Shea Butter (butyrospermum Parkii Fruit), Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis) Leaf Extract, Tocopeheryl Acetate (vitamin E).

Here is the ingredient list on my lip balm:



Jack Black Lip Balm: Ingredients

Finally, here is the ingredient list on Jack Black's website:
Ingredient Listing: ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Octinoxate 7.5%, Avobenzone 3.0%, Petrolatum 40.2%, Lanolin 13.5%. OTHER INGREDIENTS: Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Beeswax, Butylparaben, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cocoa Butter (Theodroma Cacao), Cyclohexasiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isobutylparaben, Isopropylparaben, Kester Wax K-82P (Hydroxy Polyester), Lanolin, Microcrystalline Wax, Grapefruit & Ginger Flavor , Ozokerite, Petrolatum, Polyglyceryl-3 Beeswax, Shea (Butyrospermum Parkii) Butter, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E).

Jack Black lip balm is available at SephoraBirchbox and Jack Black in the following scents:
  • Acai Berry & Vanilla (only available in Balm Squad Lip Quad on Birchbox or Jack Black)
  • Black Tea & Blackberry
  • Grapefruit & Ginger
  • Lemon & Chamomile
  • Mango & Mandarin (only available on Jack Black)
  • Natural Mint & Shea Butter
  • Shea Butter & Vitamin E (only available on Birchbox or Jack Black)
  • Vanilla & Lavender

I think that Jack Black's lip balm is a great year-round product and I would recommend this product based on its' performance. I also appreciate that it is cruelty-free. However, I would not re-repurchase this product due to it's updated ingredient list. I am trying to avoid petroleum and parabens, especially in products that are applied to my face. I had originally purchased it because I had thought, based on the ingredient list available to me on Sephora's website in early 2012, that it was free of petroleum and parabens.

Interested in finding out about my other recent favorites? Check out my post: Winter Skincare Essentials and Beauty Favorites.


Have you tried Jack Black lip balm? Which scent is your favorite?





Disclosure: I purchased this product. I am not a sponsor (paid or unpaid) for Birchbox, Sephora or Jack Black. Post contains a referral link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...