Thursday, May 16, 2013

Birchbox May 2013 Review

Contents: The Birchbox theme this month is 'Beauty Diaries'. My box included 5 items (4 items & 1 lifestyle extra). 


Birchbox May 2013


Unboxing the May 2013 Birchbox 

1. Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle,
travel size, estimated 1 fl oz


Full size cost: $21.95
Sample cost: $2.74

I was thrilled to receive this leave-in conditioner because I've read rave reviews about it on Birchbox and it sounds perfect for my long hair. My hair is currently about navel-length because I am growing it out so that I can donate it. As a result of this incredible length, my fine hair is more prone to tangling. This hair product claims to detangle, add shine, protect against heat and UV rays, lock in color, smooth and condition hair. Sounds like it's a jack of all trades, right? Finally, I appreciate that this hair product is free of parabens.

How it works (from Birchbox):
"This paraben- and sulfate-free detangler seals the cuticles (the microscopic scales that compose the outermost layer of each strand of hair). It also smooths and moisturizes, thereby minimizing frizz, while safeguarding color and adding shine. Lastly, it provides protection against UV rays and heat. Happily, it accomplishes all this through a weightless, non-greasy formula that leaves behind an airy floral scent."

2. COOLA Classic Face SPF 30 Cucumber Moisturizer for Face, deluxe size, 0.23 fl oz



Full size cost: $32
Sample cost: $4.33

I am intrigued by COOLA's sunscreen because it is a mineral sunscreen and it contains organic, anti-aging ingredients. I use sunscreen daily (rain or shine), so I am excited to try this product and see how it compares to my other sunscreens. 


How it works (from Birchbox):
"Unlike chemical sunscreens, which can take up to half an hour to kick into effect, this ultra-light sunblocks start working right away. The skin-balancing formula features vitamin C-rich strawberry extracts to soothe and tone lackluster skin. Age-reversing antioxidants like evening primrose, acai, and linseed oils deflect free radicals, while naturally water-resistant plankton makes the formula extra-durable."

3. Joie Folle De Joie Eau De Parfum, deluxe size, 0.06 fl oz


Full size cost: $98
Sample cost: $1.73

I rarely wear perfume because I work in the healthcare field (perfumes can trigger breathing problems in people with allergies or asthma). Also, I generally prefer citrus or vanilla scents. With that said, I actually like the mix of mandarin, rose and sandalwood in this Joie fragrance! This perfume is a sophisticated floral scent and I like that it has a citrus note.

How it works (from Birchbox): 
"The perfume opens with a burst of freshness from an intimate blend of calming citrus and a light woodsy floral, giving away to playful hints of cognac. Its middle notes—jasmine and Damascenia rose—give the fragrance a carefree, summery vibe. Finally, warm base notes of spicy woods and rich leather add a seductive finish. Plus, the vintage-inspired glass bottle adds a chic touch to any vanity."

4. Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner in Raina, travel size, net wt. 0.024 oz


Set of 4 mini pencils cost: $21
Sample cost: $5.25

I received this eyeliner in Raina, the navy blue color. I am planning on using this eyeliner in the summer to give my brown eyes a fun pop of color! I'm excited to try this eyeliner because I haven't tried anything from the brand Sumita and also because most of my eye liners are black or dark brown. FYI: If you received this eyeliner in your Birchbox and you would like to know the color prior to breaking the seal of the eyeliner, check for the color name underneath the 'Sumita Eyeliner' logo on the eyeliner. Then, check Birchbox for the color associated with that name.

How it works (from Birchbox): 
"The soft wax pencil won’t tug the delicate skin around your eyes, while a dose of hydrating glycerin guards against irritation. There are seven dramatic shades to choose from, including playful Signature Lime Green and a classic rich Black."

Extra: Pilot Acroball PureWhite in Pink, full size pen



Set of 4 pens cost: $6.24
Sample cost: $1.56

This pen certainly fits with the theme of 'beauty diaries'. It is a hybrid ink pen that has pink colored ink, Birchbox's signature color! 

How it works (from Birchbox): 
"Each pen is filled with a form of hybrid ink that combines the richness of gel ink with the water-resistance of quick-dry ballpoint ink, preventing any smudging or smearing. Acroball PureWhite features a glossy white barrel with Spring Pantone inspired grip colors. Grip colors include Dusk Blue, Lime, Nectarine, Cabaret, Tuquoise, and African Violet with coordinating colored ink or black ink. For a timeless look, a silver grip with black ink is also available."


Summary:


Total box value: $15.61


Verdict: 
Size: I am happy that I received 2 travel-size products, 2 deluxe-size products, and a bonus full-size pen.

Products: I received a great variety of products this month. Almost all the brands are new to me - the 'discovery' aspect of 
Birchbox is one of the many reasons why I love my Birchbox subscription. I am most excited to try the COOLA sunscreen and Beauty Protector protect & detangle. Also, I am happy to have a non-black colored eye liner on hand for the summer.

Value: Fair - I paid $10 ($5 if you factor in the Birchbox reward points for completing the product feedback surveys) and received over $15 worth of products.




Do you subscribe to Birchbox? What do you think of this month's box?


Disclosure: I am not a sponsor (paid or unpaid) for Birchbox.  Post contains a referral link.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...