Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Love With Food July 2013 Review

I like the philosophy behind Love With Food (LWF) and I found a great deal, so I bought a 6-month subscription to LWF!


Love With Food

Contents: The July LWF theme was 'Fun on the Boardwalk.' It included 8 different items and a bonus gift card.


Unboxing the July Love with Food Box 



1. Angel Mint All Natural Orange Salt Water Taffy, 2 pieces

Full size cost: $25.20 for 70 pieces
Sample cost: $0.72

This taffy was good. It had an authentic orange flavor with a note of creaminess. The taffy was not overly sweet or chewy and did not get stuck in our teeth. I appreciate that it is free of artificial colors and flavors. It was refreshing to eat salt water taffy that was not a neon color! I would purchase.

2. Kukuruza Hawaiian Salted Caramel Popcorn, 1.69 oz


Full size cost: $19 for 7 bags, ~1.7 oz each
Sample cost: $2.71

Salted caramel popcorn is one of my favorite non-chocolate treats because it is sweet, salty and crunchy! This Kukuruza popcorn was good. The popcorn itself was fluffy and was coated in a thin layer of caramel. The caramel was not too sweet. However, I didn't notice the addition of hawaiian salt. I wish that the caramel was crunchier and saltier. I appreciate that this popcorn is handcrafted and does not contain GMOs. I would not purchase because I prefer the 479 Fleur de Sel Caramel Popcorn that I received in my Bonjour Jolie box.

3. Lord Nut Levington Rebel Mary Peanuts, 1 oz


Full size cost: $14.04 for 12 pouches, 1 oz each
Sample cost: $1.17

I am intrigued by these peanuts because these are 'Spicy Bloody Mary' flavored. I will update this post when I've tried it!

4. Nature's Bakery Strawberry Fig Bar, 2 oz


Full size cost: $14 for 8 pouches, 2 oz each
Sample cost: $1.75

These fig bars were great. There were 2 fig bars in this packet and I reluctantly shared. The bar portion was soft, slightly chewy, a touch dry, and not too crumbly. The fig portion was not overly sweet or sticky. However, I couldn't taste the strawberry flavor. I appreciate that these fig bars are all natural and free of cholesterol, trans fats and GMOs. I would purchase.

5. NECCO Classic Candy Wafers, 0.5 oz


Full size cost: $13.20 for 60 rolls, 0.5 oz each
Sample cost: $0.22

I was a bit disappointed to see NECCO candy wafers in the Love with Food box because I don't consider these to be a novel food item. I remember getting these candies during Halloween and tossing these aside, in favor of chocolate and caramel candies. I don't like NECCO candy wafers because these are chalky and don't have enough flavor. I would not purchase.

6. Twangerz Snack Toppings, 4 packets, 0.035 oz each


Full size cost: $20.30 for 200 packets, 0.035 oz each
Sample cost: $0.41

These are uniquely flavored salt packets. I will update this post when I've tried it!

7. Uncle Henry's Handmade Sourdough Pretzels, 1.25 oz


Full size cost: $14.25 for 3 lb. bag
Sample cost: $0.37

These pretzels were good. The pretzels were crunchy and had a satisfying amount of salt. However, pretzels aren't something I generally crave, unless the pretzels are covered in chocolate. I would not purchase.

8. Vermont Smoke and Cure BBQ Beef Stick, 0.5 oz


Full size cost: $26.24 for 32 sticks, 0.5 oz each
Sample cost: $0.82

I am happy to try this antibiotic-free beef stick. I generally prefer sweet treats to savory treats, but occasionally I get random savory treat cravings. I will update this post when I've tried it!

Extra: $25 Hello Fresh Gift Card


Bonus $25 Gift Card

I am excited to try Hello Fresh, a weekly subscription for healthy recipes and ingredients. The items are delivered to you and then you cook the meal at home. I like the Hello Fresh concept because I love cooking and trying new recipes.



Summary:

Total Estimated Retail Value: $8.17
Plus $25 Gift Card

Product tally:
Sweet: 4
Savory: 3
Miscellaneous: 2


Verdict:
Size: We received 1 full size item, 2 deluxe size products and 5 samples.

ProductsWe received a good variety of high-quality edibles this month. I like that almost all of these products were new to us. Finally, I appreciate that the majority of the products are all-natural.

Value: Poor. I like that LWF donates a meal for every LWF box that is delivered. During June and July, LWF donated 2 (instead of the usual 1) meals to Oklahoma foodbanks for each LWF that was delivered. We received over $8 worth of products this month. Normally, LWF boxes are $12 ($10 per month, plus $2 for shipping and handling). We had purchased a 6-month LWF subscription on Fab for $46.20. 


Are you a LWF subscriber? What was your favorite item from July's LWF box?

If you sign up for LWF with the code 'FBGIFT', you will get your first month free (only have to pay $2 for shipping)! 


Disclosure: I am not a sponsor (paid or unpaid) for Love With Food.  Post contains a referral link. The site is a member of VigLink. Click here for more information on disclosures and referrals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...