Sunday, July 28, 2013

Birchbox July 2013 Review

The Birchbox theme this month is 'Power Play'! 

Contents: My box included 5 items (4 items & 1 extra). I am enamored with the new design of the Birchbox, especially the cute zigzag pattern on the inside of the box!



Birchbox July 2013


1. Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow SPF 25 in Nutmeg, deluxe sample, 0.17 fl oz


Full size cost: $35 for 1 oz
Sample cost: $6.12

This is an oil-free foundation that claims to brighten skin. I like that it contains SPF 25, because that eliminats a step in my morning routine. However, the shade 'Nutmeg' is the darkest shade available and does not match my skintone.  I actually called Birchbox about this and they sent me a sample in 'Honey', which looks like it'll be a great match with my skintone! From this experience, I've got to say that Birchbox has great customer service!

Birchbox sent me a replacement in 'Honey'!

How it works (from Birchbox):
"Benefit’s exclusive Oxygen Wow Hydrating Complex helps increase cellular respiration, providing a youth-enhancing, plumping effect. Meanwhile, vitamins C & E help fight the signs of aging. The oil-free formula delivers broad-spectrum SPF 25 protection, while diffusing light for all-day radiance."

2. Benta Berry G-1 Moisturizing Face Cream, deluxe sample, 0.1 fl oz


Full size cost: $22 for 1 oz
Sample cost: $2.20

I actually received this sample in a swap and have already tried it. Unfortunately, it did not work for me because it would 'pill' during application. I will give this to my brother because he actually loves it.

How it works (from Birchbox):
"Beyond its intense moisturizing powers, the creamy formula also regulates skin’s oil levels with a botanical brigade. Blueberry and white dead-nettle purify skin, while jasmine, burdock, and mandarin reduce breakouts and redness. The light, refreshing scent was designed with both genders in mind." 

3. Caudalie Divine Legs Tinted Body Lotion, 0.16 fl oz
Full size cost: $38 for 3.4 oz
Sample cost: $1.79

Normally, I don't tan or use tanning products. However, I love Caudalie products, so I will give this tinted body lotion a try!

How it works (from Birchbox): 
"Caudalie’s unique blend of exotic oils—grape, hibiscus, sesame, and argan—joins forces with patented antioxidant grape-seed polyphenols to soften and firm legs."

4. Tigi Rockaholic Fun Times Flexible Hairspray, travel size, 2.3 oz


Full size cost: $20.50 for 12 oz
Sample cost: $3.93

I am very low-maintenance about my hair. I shampoo and condition daily, let it air-dry and then keep it in a ponytail/bun for work. So, unfortunately, most hair styling products aren't a good match for me. I will put this hairspray on my swap list.

How it works (from Birchbox):
"Copolymers keep hair in place and fight frizzies, while hydrators prevent dryness and wheat protein strengthens the hair shaft. Feel free to take your show on the road: the formula also protects from UV damage."

Extra: Birchbox Bobby Pins, 2 green bobby pins


Full size cost: $5 for a set of 6
Sample cost: $1.67

These bobby pins are adorable! I love the cute pattern and these will help keep hair out of my face. 

How it works (from Birchbox):
"Snag-free enamel and a slight upward bend at the tip helps these bobby pins slide easily over strands."


Summary:


Total box value: $15.71


Verdict: 
Size: I am happy that I received 1 full-size, 1 travel-size, 2 deluxe-size products, and 1 foil sample.

Products: 
I received a good variety of products this month. All these products are new to me - the 'discovery' aspect of Birchbox is one of the many reasons why I love my Birchbox subscription. I am most excited to try the Benefit Cosmetics foundation. Also, I am happy to have cute bobby pins as an 'extra'.

Value: Fair - I paid $10 ($5 if you factor in the Birchbox reward points for completing the product feedback surveys) and received over $15 worth of products.




Do you subscribe to Birchbox? What do you think of this month's box?

Check out the other Birchbox variations this month in my Birchbox spoilers post!



Disclosure: I am not a sponsor (paid or unpaid) for Birchbox.  Post contains a referral link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...