Sunday, December 29, 2013

Love with Food September Review

I am still trying to catch up on some (very) belated subscription box reviews! 

I like the philosophy behind Love With Food (LWF) and I found a great deal on Rue La La, so I bought an additional 6-month subscription to LWF!


Love With Food

Contents: The September LWF theme was curated by Chef Ming Tsai. I seem to have lost the info card, so I don't know what the monthly theme was, but it was an entirely gluten-free box. It included 9 different items.

Unboxing the September Love with Food Box


Bare Fruit All-Natural Apple Chips in Cinnamon, 0.53 oz bag


Full size cost: $24.75 for 24 pack of 0.53 oz bags
Estimated sample cost: $1.03

I was introduced to Bare Fruit apple chips in the Goodies September box. These apple chips are delicious (the Fuji Red are my favorite flavor). Bare Fruit apple chips are the best 'packaged' apple chips that I've eaten - crunchy with a pure apple flavor. I appreciate that these are all natural. Also, these are free of gluten, preservatives, fat and cholesterol. FYI: My absolute favorite apple chips are from 'Simply the Best', a vendor in Seattle's Pike's Market. Since I live across the country from Pike's Market, I have re-purchased these Bare Fruit apple chips at my local TJ Maxx and Whole Foods!

Betty Lou’s Blueberry Fruit Bars, 2 oz


Full size cost: $16.09 for 12 pack of 2 oz bars
Estimated sample cost: $1.34

We haven't tried this yet.

Full size cost: $2.49 for 2.5 oz bag
Estimated sample cost: $0.70

These baked corn puffs were surprisingly good. I liked the texture of this snack - the crunchiness of the outer cinnamon layer was a nice contrast to the puffy texture of the baked corn. These are free of gluten, trans-fats and high-fructose corn syrup. Finally, these are made with non-GMO corn. I would purchase.
Dipin Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Bruschetta, 1.42 oz


Full size cost: $17.88 for 12 pack of 1.42 oz containers
Estimated sample cost: $1.49

We haven't tried this yet, but it looks like it would be great for a picnic because it is so portable.

Good Boy Organics Cheddar Cheese Organicasaurus, 0.53 oz


Full size cost: $3.29 for 2.3 oz bag
Estimated sample cost: $0.76

These baked organic corn snacks were delicious. I was pleasantly surprised that these were puffy corn snacks because based on the package images, I had expected flat crackers. These had a nice crunch, are moderately cheesy and are a healthier version of cheese ball puffs. I appreciated that my hands were not stained with orange artificial food coloring afterwards, however, I did get some of these snacks stuck in my teeth (a common occurrence when I eat baked corn snacks). Plus, these are shaped like dinosaurs! These are organic, gluten-free and made with non-GMO ingredients. I would purchase.
Full size cost: $1.30 for 1 oz cookie

No. It sounded promising because it contained oats, honey, coconut, cherries, blueberries, vanilla and cinnamon. However, it smelled and tasted a bit sour for our tastes (I even checked the expiration date just to make sure it hadn't expired/fermented). Also, the texture was unpleasantly soft and somewhat soggy - not at all what I expected from a cookie. My boyfriend actually spit out his bite - yikes! These cookies are free of nuts, gluten, soy and wheat. Also, it is made with non-GMO and organic ingredients. Would not purchase.

Millies Savory Teas Sipping Broths, 2 tea bags

Full size cost: $5.95 for 5 flavor sampler kit
Estimated sample cost: $2.38

LWF sent this brand's sipping broths in a previous box, but I never got around to trying it. I suppose this serves as a reminder that I need to try these uniquely flavored sipping broths!

Wild Garden Roasted Garlic Hummus Dip, 1.76 oz
Full size cost: $4.29 for 5 pack of 1.76 oz containers
Estimated sample cost: $0.86

I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like it would be great for a picnic because it is easily portable.

YumEarth Organics Fruit Snacks, 0.7 oz
Full size cost: $7.99 for 10 pack of 0.7 oz bags
Estimated sample cost: $0.80

These tasted good, however, they got stuck in my teeth and I prefer the gummy texture of Haribo gummy bears. I was surprised that this little packet of fruit snacks provided 100% daily Vitamin C. These are vegan, nut-free, gluten-free, fat-free, nut-free and made with organic fruit juice. I would not purchase.



Summary:

Total estimated retail value: $10.66


Product tally
Sweet: 5
Savory: 4


Verdict:
Size: We received 4 full size items, 4 deluxe size products and 2 sample tea bags.

ProductsWe received a great variety of high-quality edibles this month. So far, I've been fairly impressed by the September LWF products (with the exception of the Licious Organics raw cookie)! Also, I like that almost all of these products were new to us. Finally, I appreciate that the products are all-natural/organic.

Value: Fair. I like that LWF donates a meal for every LWF box that is delivered. We received over $10 worth of products this month. Normally, LWF boxes are $12 ($10 per month, plus $2 for shipping and handling). We had purchased a great deal for a 6-month subscription on Rue La La for only $42. 


Are you a LWF subscriber? What was your favorite item from September's LWF box?

If you sign up for LWF with the code 'YEAREND13', you will get $10 off your first month (so, you'll only have to pay $2 for shipping)! Hurry, because this offer expires 12/31/13.



    Disclosure: I am not a sponsor (paid or unpaid) for Love With Food.  Post contains a referral link. The site is a member of VigLink. Click here for more information on disclosures and referrals.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...