Thursday, October 17, 2013

Love With Food August 2013 Review

I received my October Love With Food (LWF) box yesterday, so that was a timely reminder that I needed to post my August and September LWF boxes. I like the philosophy behind LWF and I found a great deal, so I bought a 6-month subscription to LWF!


Love With Food

Contents: The August LWF theme was 'Backyard BBQ.' It included 8 different items.


Unboxing the August Love with Food Box


1. All Natural Spice Rub from The Dizzy Pig BBQ Co.


Individual sample cost: $1.10

I haven't had a chance to use this spice rub yet because I am a creature of habit and tend to stick with my go-to chicken recipe. The next time I cook, I'll try this spice rub.

2. Sea Salt Potato Crisps from Good Boy Organics, 0.8 oz



Full size cost: $24 for 16 bags
Estimated sample cost: $1.50

These potato snacks were standard baked snacks. I prefer a thicker crunch when I eat potato snacks. To be honest, when I am craving a salty, savory snack, I prefer to eat full-fat, full-calorie kettle cooked potato chips. 


3. All Natural Medium Salsa from El Pinto, 3 oz



Full size cost: $3.99 for 4 single-serving cups
Estimated sample cost: $1.00

I haven't had a chance to try this yet either. 


4. Original Creamy Praline from Aunt Sally's, 1.5 oz



Full size cost: $13.99 for 6 pralines, 1.5 oz each
Estimated sample cost:  $2.33

I've been to New Orleans twice - the first visit was to help re-build the community after Hurricane Katrina and the second visit was for vacation (just over a year ago). Aunt Sally's store is located next to the famous Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. While you're sipping chicory coffee and nibbling beignets at Cafe du Monde, the intoxicating scents from Aunt Sally's draw you into their store, where you are welcomed with samples of warm, fresh praline. We have had fresh praline in New Orleans and unfortunately, this packaged praline was just average. This packaged praline was saccharine and had a gritty texture.


5. Amsterdam Waffle Cookie from Rip van Wafels, 1.2 oz



Full size cost: $24 for 16 wafels, 1.2 oz each
Estimated sample cost: $1.50

I haven't had a chance to try this yet either. When I think about waffles, Wafels & Dinges is what comes to mind. We happen to live near a Wafels & Dinges food cart, so whenever we have a craving for waffles, we just take a stroll to that food cart. I've tried stroopwafels previously and haven't been super impressed, mostly because I prefer crunchy/crispy snacks, and stroopwafels are soft waffle cookies. So, this waffle cookie has a very high bar to live up to. 

6. Lightly Salted Snapea Crisps from Harvest Snaps, 0.75 oz


Full size cost: $8 for 4 bags, 3.3 oz each
Estimated sample cost: $0.45

Unfortunately, we did not like these snapea crisps. When we chewed on these, it disintegrated into soft powder instead of breaking down into pieces. The flavor did not remind us of fresh peas, instead these crisps had a nutty undertone.


7. Sugar-Free Fresh Mints from Project 7, 1 tube


Full size cost: $21.48 for 12 tubes
Estimated sample cost: $1.79

I haven't had a chance to try this yet either. I actually received these mints from a Popsugar Must Have box previously. I love the philosophy behind Project 7. Project 7 products support 7 areas of need across the world. These Quench The Thirst mints help provide clean drinking water to communities in need.

8. Crunchers from Sahale Snacks, 0.75 oz

Full size cost: $25 for 6 bags, 4 oz each
Estimated sample cost: $0.47

Our household had divided opinions on this snack. I've seen this brand in stores previously, but I've never felt compelled to purchase it. So, I'm glad that we got a chance to try it in our LWF box. I thought that these snacks were good. On the other hand, my boyfriend thought that these snacks were great and re-purchase worthy (yes, it is on our food shopping list). 




Summary:

Total Estimated Retail Value: $10.14

Product tally:
Sweet: 3
Savory: 4
Miscellaneous: 1


Verdict:
SizeWe received 1 full size item and 7 samples.

ProductsWe received a good variety of high-quality edibles this month. Also, I appreciate that the majority of the products are all-natural.

Value: Poor-Fair. I like that LWF donates a meal for every LWF box that is delivered. We received over $10 worth of products this month. Normally, LWF boxes are $12 ($10 per month, plus $2 for shipping and handling). We had purchased a 6-month LWF subscription on Fab for $46.20. 


In related news, LWF recently announced that they will be offering Deluxe Boxes, which cost $19.95 and contain 16-20 items.

Are you a LWF subscriber? What was your favorite item from the August LWF box?

If you sign up for LWF with the code 'FBGIFT', you will get your first month free (only have to pay $2 for shipping)! 


    Disclosure: I am not a sponsor (paid or unpaid) for Love With Food.  Post contains a referral link. The site is a member of VigLink. Click here for more information on disclosures and referrals.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...