Thursday, March 13, 2014

Birchbox September 2013 Review

I am still trying to catch up on some (very) belated subscription box reviews! 

The Birchbox September 2013 theme was 'Heritage'. 


Contents: My box included 5 items. I am enamored with the re-designed Birchbox, especially the cute zigzag pattern on the inside of the box!



Birchbox September 2013



1. & 2. Beauty Protector Protect & Condition and Protect & Shampoo, approximately 1.25 oz each


Full size cost: $21.95 for 8 oz
Sample cost: $6.86 total

I've mentioned previously that I'm very low-maintenance about my hair (shampoo and condition daily, let it air-dry and then keep it in a ponytail/bun for work). So, I'm happy that I received shampoo and conditioner rather than a hair styling product. I like the scent of these products, which reminds me of Aquolina's Pink Sugar eau de toilette.  

How it works (from Birchbox):
'The sulfate-free Protect & Shampoo strengthens hair with pearl powder, a natural shield against heat and environmental damage, and a host of healing vitamins. The result: clean, bouncy locks that also smell fabulous. Protect & Condition adds a double dose of pearl powder while nourishing and hydrating with shea butter and apple, lemon, and orange extracts.'
3. Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss in Monaco, 0.06 fl oz
Full size cost: $20 for 0.17 fl oz
Sample cost: $7.06

This looks like a bold red in the tube, but it is actually fairly sheer. However, it does contain parabens, which are an ingredient that I am trying to avoid. 
How it works (from Birchbox):
'The formula is packed with moisturizing shea butter and jojoba seed oil to moisturize, plus Vitamins A, C, and E to heal cracks and flakiness.'
4. Ruffian Nail Lacquer in Fox Hunt, 0.17 fl oz


Full size cost: $10 for 0.17 fl oz

Unfortunately, this reddish-orange shade is not a good match for me because I have yellow undertones and tend to wear neutral polish colors. I will put this polish on my swap list.


How it works (from Birchbox):
'Begin with a base coat to set a strong foundation for long-lasting wear. Apply 1-2 coats of nail polish in smooth, even brushstrokes. Finish with a glossy top coat for a boost of shine and protection. If any polish ends up on your skin or cuticles, clean up by dipping a cotton swab or small brush in nail polish remover and running it around each nail for a sleek, professional look.' 
5. Supergoop! Daily Correct SPF 35 CC Cream in Light to Medium, 3 ml


Full size cost: $32 for 1.6 fl oz
Sample cost: $2.03

I'm always up for trying a new BB/CC/alphabet cream. I appreciate that this Supergoop cream contains broad-spectrum SPF (eliminates a step in my morning routine) and is fragrance-free.

How it works (from Birchbox):
'Like its Supergoop! sunscreen counterparts, this CC cream uses 100% natural ingredients and antioxidants to triple protect against UVA, UVB and infrared-A rays. Light-diffusing mica minerals soften the appearance of pores and wrinkles for a fresh, flawless complexion.'

Summary:


Total box value: $25.95

Verdict: 
Size: I am happy that I received 1 full-size, 3 travel-size and 1 deluxe-size product.

Products: 
I received a good variety of products this month. All of these products are new to me - the 'discovery' aspect of Birchbox is one of the many reasons why I love my Birchbox subscription.


Value: Good - I paid $10 ($5 if you factor in the $5 in Birchbox reward points for completing the product feedback surveys) and received over $25 worth of products.




Do you subscribe to Birchbox? What do you think of this month's box?



Disclosure: I am not a sponsor (paid or unpaid) for Birchbox.  Post contains a referral link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...